Coronavirus (COVID-19) Recovery Center VIEW HERE



Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where are lost animals taken when they are picked up?

Answer:  Impounded animals are taken to the Humane Society of the South Platte Valley animal shelter which is located at 2129 W. Chenango Ave. in Littleton (303-703-2938 - Web site: The shelter has the following hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11 am to 6 pm; Wednesday 3 pm to 6 pm; and Sunday 12 pm to 5 pm. 


What can I do about a neighbor's constantly barking dog?

Answer:  You can contact Code Enforcement/Animal Welfare (303-762-2335) or the Englewood Dispatch Center (303-761-7410) to report a barking dog problem. Officers will usually issue a verbal warning to the pet's owner. Please note that in order to cite a dog's owner into Municipal Court, two identified witnesses from separate households are required.


How many dogs and cats can I own in the City of Englewood?

Answer:  Residents can have a combination of no more than four dogs and/or cats, provided that there are no more than three dogs or three cats in any household.


Does Englewood have any pet licensing requirements or breed-specific bans?

Answer: Englewood does not require dogs or cats to be licensed, although they must be vaccinated for rabies (dogs and cats are required to wear a collar with a current rabies tag). Currently, there are no breed-specific bans.

How do I report an animal problem?

Answer: If you suspect an Animal Welfare problem, you can: 

  • Contact Code Enforcement/Animal Welfare at 303-762-2335;
  • Contact the Police/Fire Communications Center at 303-761-7410;

Is it okay to break a car window if a pet is locked inside on a hot day?

Answer: Anyone who wishes to use this as an affirmative defense MUST comply with everything outlined to include calling law enforcement 911 to seek direction prior to breaking a vehicle window. Please remember that failing to take ALL the steps will still hold someone criminally and civilly responsible. 

  • Verify the vehicle is locked.
  • Make a reasonable effort to locate the owner or operator of the vehicle.

  • Contact a law enforcement or other first responder agency prior to forcibly entering the vehicle for direction and not interfere with the actions of any such responding law enforcement agency. You must provide your name, location and contact information.

  • Use no more force than reasonably necessary to enter the locked vehicle.

  • Remain with the at-risk person or animal in a safe location close to the vehicle until law enforcement or other first responder arrives at the scene; except that, if the person rendering assistance has to leave the scene before the owner or operator of the vehicle returns, prior to leaving the scene, the person rendering assistance shall leave a notice on the vehicle with his or her name and contact information and the name and location, if any, of the facility to which he or she took the at-risk person or animal. Also prior to leaving the scene, the person rendering assistance shall contact law enforcement with the same information.


Please visit the Animal Welfare section of our Web site for more animal-related information.



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer