CANCELED - 2020 4th of July Family Festival and Fireworks Show LEARN MORE

Mayor Linda Olson and Police Chief John Collins Respond to the Death of George Floyd VIEW HERE

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Recovery Center VIEW HERE

Business Resources: COVID-19 Temporary Outdoor Expansion Application VIEW HERE

ROW Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Right-of-Way Permits

Information on
Right-of-Way Permit Procedure
during City Declared Emergency


The following is a general summary.  Contractors should read our Permit Guide.

The Right-of-Way is the public property that includes streets and highways, curbs & gutters, sidewalks, and alleys.  The boundary between the right-of-way and private property generally falls a few feet behind the sidewalk.

Permit Types

A permit is required for the following activities in the public right-of-way:

  • An Excavation Permit is required to cut any street or alley, whether surfaced with asphalt, gravel, or dirt.
  • A Concrete Permit is required for removing or installing any curb & gutter, sidewalk, or concrete alley.
  • An Occupancy Permit is required for any activity that blocks traffic, or substantially limits the use of the street, sidewalk, or alley.
  • A special Occupancy Permit is available for Home Owners who wish to temporarily place a dumpster, building materials, or "moving POD" in the right-of-way.
  • A Block Party Permit is required to temporarily close the street to through traffic.  More information is available on the Neighorhood Resources page.

Contractors cutting into a concrete alley will need to obtain both an Excavation permit and a Concrete permit.

Contractor's License

Contractors must have a valid license (obtained from the Englewood Building Division).

  • Excavation permits require a Class A, B, or D license.
  • Concrete Permits require a Class D6 license.

Performance Bond

Contractors must obtain a Performance Bond on a form provided by Public Works.

Please note that this bond must be endorsed by your insurance agent on the form that we provide.  Forms provided by your insurance company do not contain the legal language required by the City.  Sorry, no other form is acceptable.

This is a calendar year bond (expires on December 31st).

      Performance and Maintenance Bond form


Contractors must provide a Certificate of Insurance which specifies the City of Englewood as certificate holder and as additional insured.  Contact the Public Works Department at 303-762-2500 for details.

Traffic Control

Contractors are required to provide a Traffic Control Plan which:

All traffic control devices (barricades, warning signs, etc.) must be promptly removed when the work is completed.  If work is temporarily suspended, any signs that aren't required for safe operation should be bagged, turned away, or otherwise relocated so they aren't visible to motorists, or a hazard to pedestrians.

Hours of Work

Construction activity in the city right-of-way must:

  • Occur between 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM unless otherwise approved by the Traffic Engineer.
  • Shall not occur between the hours of 7:00 PM and 7:00 AM per Englewood Municipal Code.

Weekends and Holidays

Construction activity in the city right-of-way is prohibited on any City-recognized holiday, unless prior permission is obtained from Public Works.

Work on Saturdays is allowed, however Public Works must be notified in advance.

Emergency, After Hours Work

If an emergency (a broken water service or sewer line) occurs outside of normal business hours, a contractor may proceed with the work and obtain the permit later PROVIDED:

  • Police Dispatch (303-761-7410) has been contacted with the exact location and nature of the work.
  • The contractor has a valid license and bond with the City.
  • Proper traffic control is maintained during the work.
  • Utility locates have been obtained.
  • The contractor applies for a permit (even if the work has been completed) as early as possible the following business day.


  • Inspections may be scheduled for any business day between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
  • Inspections must be scheduled for a time at least 24 hours prior to construction.
  • Please call Public Works at 303-762-2500 to request an inspection.

Utility Locates

  • Requests for utility locates are coordinated by the Utility Notification Center of Colorado (UNCC).
  • Dial 811 or 800-922-1987 for ALL Locate Requests.
  • Colorado 811 is open 24x7 for emergency and damage requests.

State Highways

Any work on a state highway will require a permit from the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and possibly a permit from the City as well.

These highways include:

  • Santa Fe Drive 
  • Highway 285 (portions also known as Hampden Avenue) 
  • Federal Boulevard 
  • Belleview Avenue, east of Federal 

If you're planning work on a state highway, contact the Public Works Department first, as a City permit may also be required.  Call us at 303-762-2500 and we can help you get started at CDOT.

Construction Standards

All work must be performed in accordance with our Standards and Specifications for the design and construction of public improvements.  Any variance from these standards must be approved by Public Works prior to construction.

Permit Fees

Fees are based on the amount of time needed to process the application, review the permit, and inspect the work.  See our Public Works Fee Schedule.

All permit fees are non-refundable.

Permit Hours

Permits are issued at the Public Works counter on regular business days between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.  Also note that no permits will be issued between December 25, 2019 and January 1, 2020.

New Policies 2019

Effective January 2019, a two-year moratorium will be enforced on all newly paved and resurfaced streets (see map).

Also beginning in 2019, specific engineering drawings must be provided as part of the application for projects that involve utility borings.

Application Forms

  1. Click on one of the links below to open a PDF-fillable form to start the application process.
  2. After completing the application, save the form to your hard drive.
  3. Email the completed form to and retain a copy for your records.
      Excavation Permit application form
      Concrete Permit application form
      Occupancy Permit application form
      Occupancy Permit (Home Owner) application form
    Occupancy Permit Block Party application form
      Oversize / Overweight Occupancy application form
      Floodplain Development Permit application form


If you have Questions

Send an email to or contact Audrey Arrazola at 303-762-2500.