Chronology of Englewood's History

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Print
Chronology of Englewood's History 
 1858 William Green Russell discovered gold on Little Dry Creek setting off the Colorado Gold Rush.
 1860 Thomas and Mary Skerritt homesteaded in the Englewood area.
 1864 Skerritt plowed out first legal road south from Denver. This road was called Broadway.
 1870 J.C. Jones purchased 80 acres north of Little Dry Creek.
 1879 First Telephone in Englewood area, it was a toll phone.
 1883 Line for the Cherrelyn horsecar laid down.
 1887 Fort Logan was built. The soldiers frequented the area saloons and brothels.
 1891 A.C. Fiske purchased land from Jones and opened Fisk’s Broadway Gardens, a family picnicking area and beer garden.
 1892 Fisk’s Gardens closed.  The Cherrelyn Horsecar began operating as the only gravity-powered streetcar in existence at that time.
 1903 Englewood was incorporated and the name was changed from Orchard Place. J.C. Jones was elected mayor over Thomas Skerritt by a slim margin. Jones first act as new mayor was to clean up the disreputable establishments.
 1904 The first newspaper was started in Englewood.
 1905 Swedish National Sanitorium was founded. The first building was built in 1907.
 1906 The first sidewalks and street lights were installed in the South Broadway business area.
 1907 The Police and Volunteer Fire Department were organized.
 1908 The Cherrelyn Horsecar ceased running on a regular schedule.
 1912 Tuileries Park Closed. The Horsecar tracks were taken up.
 1913 Little Dry Creek flooded the central business district in the spring. In December of that year a four foot snowstorm hit.
 1917 The National Film Company purchased the park where Tuileries had been located.
 1920 Englewood Public Library opens in a small rented room. Annexation of the library to the Denver Library System was turned down in a second election. Englewood High School was built.
 1923 The Alexander Industries began making advertising films in Englewood.  In an effort to speed up delivery of its films, the company began producing the Eagle Rock bi-plane, which became one of the most successful airplanes of that era. 
 1925 Broadway was first paved.
 1928 A major fire broke out in the Alexander Film and Aircraft Company fire resulting in injury and death.
 1938 The new Post Office was built at Floyd and Broadway.
 1948 2500 acres on the Platte Canyon was purchased ensuring plentiful and safe water supply for the city and independence from Denver.
 1952 A council-manager form of government was adopted. 
 1953 Golden anniversary of Englewood was celebrated. Broadway was painted gold for the occasion. 
 1965 City Park was sold to developers of Cinderella City.
 1968 Cinderella City was completed and opened. It was the largest mall west of the Mississippi at that time.  
 1998 After years of decline, Cinderella City is demolished, making way for CityCenter Englewood, an award-winning mixed-use transit-oriented redevelopment project. 
 2000 The City of Englewood's administrative offices moved from the City Hall at 3400 S. Elati Street to the new Civic Center at CityCenter Englewood.  
 2000 RTD opened a light rail line along South Santa Fe Drive, with one of the stops, "Englewood Station," located at CityCenter Englewood.  
 2003 Englewood celebrated the 100th Anniversary of its incorporation with a week of festivities.  The celebration was dubbed "EJ2" - Englewood Jubilee 2.  
 2005 Swedish Medical Center celebrated its 100th Anniversary with special events throughout the year.  
 2007 Craig Hospital celebrated its 100th Anniversary.