The City of Englewood’s Inoperable/Off-Road Vehicle ordinances address storage of inoperable motor vehicles, off-road vehicles, and trailers. The following is a summary of these ordinances:
An Inoperable Motor Vehicle is any vehicle that lacks current license plates or that cannot move under its own power or that is wrecked, damaged, dismantled, or incompletely assembled.
Off-Road Vehicles (ORV) include, but are not limited to, ATV, mini-bike, dirt bike, go-cart, dune buggy, personal watercraft, boat, race car, and a trailer for any of the foregoing.
Trailers/Utility Trailers are used to carry its cargo load upon its own structure and which is used to carry and transport property, to include off-road vehicles.
Screening is defined as a method of visually shielding or obscuring one abutting or nearby structure or use from another by fencing, walls, berms, or densely planted vegetation. Any screened vehicle should not be visible from adjacent properties and public rights-of-way. Any vehicle stored behind a six-foot (6') privacy fence will generally be sufficient to comply with the ordinance.
Inoperable Motor Vehicle requirements (15-9-1) (residential):
- No inoperable motor vehicle shall be stored within the front yard (including the front driveway).
- No inoperable motor vehicle may be stored in a carport.
- An inoperable motor vehicle may be stored in a fully enclosed garage or similar structure.
- One (1) inoperable motor vehicle may be stored in a rear or side yard if it is not on a grass surface screened from view of adjacent properties and public rights-of-way.
Off-Road Vehicles (ORV) and Trailers (15-9-2) (residential):
- No ORV or any type of trailer shall be stored on a grass surface.
- No person shall store or work on any ORV or any type of trailer on any public property or right-of-way.
Off-Road Vehicles (ORV) and Trailers (15-9-2) (zones other than residential):
- No ORV or trailer shall be stored on a grass surface.
Details on Englewood's regulations are available on this downloadable file: Inoperable/Off-Road Vehicles (PDF file)
To report a code violation, submit a service request.